All farmers welcome to a Mid-rotation Agroforestry Harvest field day.
-Explanation of farm plan
-Commercial harvest site inspection
-Small tractor agroforestry demonstration:
-6.5 tonne log winch
-Front-end loader log grapple
Lunchtime workshop: (Refreshments and sandwich lunch provided if you RSVP)
Grower and buyer agroforestry thinnings markets panel.
Hear short talks and ask panel members questions. A great opportunity to learn from growers who have done something commercial with thinnings and people who buy wood products.
▪ Jon on what he has done with his trees to date and what he has in mind for the future;
▪ Peter Smyth from CERES Fairwood on firewood and rough posts;
▪ Frank Hirst on selling firewood and preserving thinnings for use as farm posts;
▪ David Taylor from Victorian Sustainable Products at Hill End on using agroforestry logs for tree stakes and other products (VSP purchased two loads of bluegum from Jon’s plantation);
▪ Andrew Walpole on selling thinning logs to a CMA for erosion control; and
▪ Kevin Piercy from Australian Paper on the value of agroforestry thinnings for pulpwood (AP purchased eighteen loads).
▪ Peter Devonshire from Devtree regarding the management of the harvest and marketing products.
Please RSVP for numbers and late notices to Jon Hauser email@example.com 0408 872 121 (Field activity will be limited if a high-risk fire day).
When: Saturday, February 23rd, 8:30am to 2:30pm
Where: Jon and Marg Hauser’s property: “Tany-bryn” 1471 Loch-Wonthaggi Rd, Glen Alvie, 3979